A common health issue, gout affects people of all ages. This metabolic disorder occurs when the defective metabolism of uric acid causes arthritis – the smaller bones of the feet are particularly vulnerable to this. It’s accompanied by episodes of acute pain and it’s typically manifested by swelling, redness and stiffness. Sometimes, it just takes several hours for the symptoms to develop.
Accumulation of uric acid, which occurs as a result of excessive secretion or inadequate waste elimination, is identified as the main reason for gout development. Uric acid, on the other hand, is the breakdown product of purines, natural substances found in all of the body’s cells, and in virtually all foods. Gout is typically, though not always, marked by elevated uric acid levels in the blood, a condition known as hyperuricemia.
Uric acid buildup, which happens when the kidneys are unable to eliminate the uric acid from the body, leads to crystallization and formation of deposits around the joints causing minor to severe joint inflammation.
However, there are several things you can do to stimulate the elimination of uric acid from your body and improve your overall health. Of course, the first step you take is making some important dietary changes like enriching your diet in fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meat and seafood, and whole grains. On the other hand, you should cut down processed sugars including high- fructose corn syrup, saturated fats, and alcohol.
Another important thing to be part of your daily routine is drinking plenty of water in order to keep your body well-hydrated as well as to ease the elimination of toxins and uric acid buildup. Aside from water, you can keep hydrated with natural unsweetened juices, fruit-infused water, and herbal teas. You can use honey as a sweetener though.
Last, but not least, reducing your exposure to stress as much as possible and being physically active is also important.
These natural tonics are extremely useful for reducing the symptoms of gout:
- Baking soda is a great prophylactic agent for reducing uric acid in the body. Simply add ½ a teaspoon to a glass of water and drink on a regular daily basis. If you have a gout attack, use a spoonful of soda.
- Lemon water is highly beneficial for restoring alkalinity in the body. When your internal pH is alkaline, your body is able to fight off many health issues including gout. Lemon water increases alkalinity in the body thus preventing the formation of uric acid crystals. Squeeze out the juice of half a lemon and add it to 200ml warm water. Drink this every morning on an empty stomach.
- Apple cider vinegar provides a similar effect to lemon juice as it also restores the body alkalinity. It’s rich in malic acid, which effectively dissolves uric acid and eliminates it from the body. To treat this condition, mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 200ml of water. Drink this twice a day before lunch and dinner.
These are the best foods to include in your diet in order to prevent or treat gout:
- Curcumin – this is the active ingredient of turmeric; it’s a powerful anti-inflammatory agent and plays a major role in renal protection.
- Bromelain – this natural substance is found in pineapples; it provides strong anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects.
- Flaxseed – this seed is beneficial in reducing uric acid secretion.