You are probably familiar with many amazing uses of baking soda that go beyond cooking. This ingredient can help you, among other things, to maintain hygiene in your household as well as for beauty care. However, in some situations, it’d better be avoided.
Here is when baking soda is not an ideal solution:
- Do you often suffer from heartburn? Baking soda is indeed very effective in these situations, but be cautious not to go over the boundary. If you often experience difficulties with your digestion, visit your doctor.
- Although baking soda is excellent for household maintenance, do not clean aluminum tableware with it. It may stain the dishes leading to an undesired effect.
- If you just open a bag of baking soda and leave it in the fridge so as to neutralize any unpleasant smells, it won’t be really effective. For better results, sprinkle baking soda on a tray and put it on a shelf in the refrigerator. However, this will occupy a large area in your fridge leaving less room for other foods.
- You may know that you can use baking soda to extinguish oil on fire. However, it is not a simple procedure. Even if you have a large amount of baking soda at hand, there is no safe distance from which you can sprinkle baking soda on a pan or pot on fire. So, forget about this and obtain an efficient fire extinguisher to keep at hand instead.
- Baking soda has many useful applications in body care. However, as it is an alkaline substance, it is not recommended for acne treatment. What baking soda does is eliminate the natural acids in the skin, thus creating favorable conditions for acne breakout.
- They may sound similar, but baking soda and baking powder give different effects. Both substances generate carbon dioxide in certain circumstances, thus providing baking goods with excellent texture. However, baking soda reacts with acids that are already in the food. On the other hand, baking powder has an acid in itself.
Therefore, they should not be used interchangeably.