Depression is on the rise in the 21st century. This psychological condition is normally marked by bouts of melancholic mood, but its symptoms vary from mild and bearable to severe and debilitating. In the most serious cases, depression can be life-threatening.
The most common symptoms and signs of depression include:
- sadness, anxiety, or feelings of emptiness
- feelings of guilt
- low energy and fatigue
- suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts
- feelings of hopelessness
- irritability, restlessness
- sleeplessness or excessive sleeping
- difficulties focusing and indecisiveness
Although there are over-the-counter remedies to treat the condition, natural medicine also provides effective treatment against depression. In fact, a common spice – turmeric, which provides a wide array of health benefits, is also one of the most effective natural remedies against this condition.
A number of studies have found turmeric beneficial for treatment of Alzheimer’s, cancer, and high LDL blood cholesterol. Moreover, it has proven effective treatment of liver issues, acidity, stomach disorders, and pains, diarrhea, arthritis, jaundice etc.
Turmeric provides a wide range of medicinal properties, such as:
- numerous antioxidants,
- anti-inflammatory effects,
- anti-depressive effects,
- heart health and
- brain function stimulator.
Prozac is by far the most commonly prescribed therapy for treatment of depression. But, the truth is, it also brings on numerous side effects including suicidal thoughts, breathing difficulties, and stomach bleeding.
On the other hand, researchers have discovered that curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, provides the same effect in treating major depressive disorder as fluoxetine (Prozac), without causing any negative effects.
This recipe for a delicious turmeric lemonade can be extremely beneficial for reducing the symptoms of depression.
Turmeric Lemonade Recipe
- the juice of one and a half lemon or lime
- 2 freshly grated or powdered turmeric
- 4 100% maple syrup, Stevia or honey
- 4 cups cold filtered or sparkling water
- the juice of 1 blood orange (optional)
Use a small pitcher to mix all the ingredients. Stir well and drink.